South Dakota is a state located in the Midwestern region of the United States. It is named after the Lakota and Dakota Sioux American Indian tribes. South Dakota is the 17th most extensive, but the 5th least populous and the 5th least densely populated of the 50 United States. Once the southern portion of the Dakota Territory, South Dakota became a state on November 2, 1889 simultaneously with North Dakota. Pierre is the state capital and Sioux Falls, with a population of 159,000, is South Dakota’s largest city.
[ ref: All about the state of South Dakota]
- South Dakota Scholarship Applicant must be a high-school senior and attend one of the high-schools located in the state of South Dakota;
- South Dakota Scholarship Applicant must have a G.P.A. of at least 2.0 at the time of completing the South Dakota scholarship application;
- South Dakota Scholarship Applicant must be a U.S. citizen, and South Dakota resident at the time of completing the South Dakota scholarship application;
- South Dakota Scholarship Applicant must register his/her name and email address, and scholarship preference with National Academy of American Scholars;
- South Dakota Scholarship Applicant must write an essay in 500 words or less why he/she believes that as an South Dakota resident, how winning the South Dakota scholarship will benefit the state of South Dakota.